We’re taking all of it the way in which again to 2013. Sure, 10 entire years in the past once I found an additional butternut squash laying round and determined to cook dinner up some magic.
If you happen to love my well-known Candy Potato Black Bean Enchiladas, prepare for an unimaginable winter model. In a freaking skillet. OMG, sure.
Let’s focus on this magical concoction that jumped out of my thoughts, into the skillet, and onto my plate…or we might simply stare at pictures and drool? No, I undoubtedly want to elucidate how good this dinner is. Every chew is crammed with tender, barely candy butternut squash, scrumptious black beans, crave-able tortilla strips, and layers of melted cheese.
This vegetarian enchilada skillet is the right meal if you’re craving enchiladas however don’t really feel like doing all that rolling. It’s SO simple to make in nearly half-hour and would possibly simply develop into one in all your new fav dinners (except it has been for the previous 10 years!)
Every thing you’ll must make this enchilada skillet
This recipe is a kind of throw-everything-in-the-pan ones that simply work. We’ve acquired veggies, protein, fiber, and loads of warming spices. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Veggies: you’ll cube up a few 2lb butternut squash for this scrumptious skillet. I really like the refined sweetness it provides. You’ll additionally want an onion and a jalapeño.
- Herbs & spices: we’re including taste to the skillet with contemporary garlic, floor cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper.
- Black beans: get that wholesome dose of protein and fiber from a can of black beans!
- Tortillas: I like to make use of yellow corn tortillas on this enchilada skillet. You’ll minimize these into thick strips for layering.
- Enchilada sauce: be at liberty to make use of a can of enchilada sauce for ease, or attempt my Home made Enchilada Sauce!
- Cheese: sprinkle on loads of shredded Mexican cheese or colby jack for that tacky goodness (and further protein).
- For serving: I prefer to prime my plate with contemporary cilantro and a dollop of greek yogurt or bitter cream. Oh, and my home made guacamole can be next-level scrumptious.
Customise your enchilada skillet
As a result of it’s made with easy substances, this vegetarian enchilada skillet is straightforward to customise! Right here’s what I can advocate:
- Select your veggies: be at liberty so as to add in any veggies which can be in season! Candy potato can be an ideal swap for the squash, and zucchini, bell pepper, or corn can be nice spring & summer season choices.
- Choose your tortillas: as I discussed you may completely use flour tortillas if you happen to’d like. Utilizing corn tortillas will maintain this dish gluten free.
- Add a lift of protein: on the lookout for much more protein? Add 1-2 cups of cooked, shredded hen, floor hen, or floor turkey.
- Go dairy free: simply swap the cheese on your favourite vegan/dairy free cheese, or omit the cheese and drizzle the skillet with my Jalapeño Inexperienced Tahini Sauce.
How you can prep your butternut squash
You’re going to wish to peel and dice the butternut squash earlier than including it to this recipe, so get all of my suggestions & tips for safely doing so right here.
Vegetarian enchilada skillet in 3 steps
We’re stirring up oooey gooey enchilada love right here. See? Right here’s how you can make them:
- Prepare dinner your veggies. Begin by cooking down the onion, garlic & jalapeño in a giant skillet with olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add the cubed squash and spices, and cook dinner till the squash is barely tender.
- Add the enchilada substances. Stir within the black beans, corn tortilla strips, and enchilada sauce. Scale back the warmth and stir in some cheese.
- Broil & serve. Add further cheese and plate the skillet beneath your broiler to get it good and melty. Then serve with cilantro, greek yogurt or bitter cream, and guacamole if you happen to’d like!
Ideas for making forward
There are a few methods you could save much more time when making this enchilada skillet:
- Be at liberty to dice your butternut squash, chop your onion, and cube your jalapeño 1-2 days beforehand. Retailer the onion and jalapeño collectively, and the squash individually, in hermetic containers within the fridge. That approach you may pour them into your skillet and cook dinner up the skillet shortly.
- If you wish to go a step additional, be at liberty to saute your whole veggies 1 day earlier than (make sure you not overcook), allow them to cool, and retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge. The subsequent day you may heat them in your skillet and proceed with step 2 of the recipe.
Retailer any leftover enchilada skillet in hermetic containers within the fridge for as much as 3-5 days. Merely reheat within the microwave till warmed via.
Extra vegetarian dinners to attempt
Get all of my vegetarian dinner recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on this butternut squash and black bean enchilada skillet! If you happen to make it make sure you go away a remark and a ranking so I understand how you preferred it. Get pleasure from, xo!
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
Flavorful butternut squash and black bean enchilada skillet crammed with fiber and protein for a scrumptious dinner the entire household will love. This simple vegetarian enchilada skillet comes collectively in half-hour and is nice for meal prep!
olive oil or avocado oil
1/2-inch-diced, peeled butternut squash (from a few 2-lb. squash)
- salt and pepper, to season
medium yellow onion, diced
jalapeno, diced (and seeded if you need much less spice)
can black beans, drained and rinsed
yellow corn tortillas, minimize into thick strips
can pink enchilada sauce
shredded colby jack or mexican cheese (or no matter you like), divided
- cilantro and greek yogurt, for serving
Add olive oil to a big oven-proof skillet and place over medium warmth. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeno and cook dinner 3-5 minutes till onions develop into translucent and garlic is aromatic. Add cubed squash, cumin and chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, till the squash is barely tender, about 10 minutes or so. Typically it helps if you happen to cowl the pan with a lid to create condensation, which can assist to hurry up the cooking time. You need the squash to be fork tender, however not so tender that it begins to crumble and develop into mush.
Subsequent, add the black beans, corn tortilla items, and the can of enchilada sauce and stir to mix. Scale back warmth to medium-low and sprinkle in 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir once more and simmer for a couple of minutes. Flip in your oven broiler to excessive. Sprinkle a further 1/2 cup of cheese (or extra if you would like!) excessive of the enchilada combination and place in oven beneath broiler for 3-5 minutes till cheese melts. Take away from oven and serve instantly. Be at liberty so as to add in cilantro. Serve with bitter cream, guacamole, or sizzling sauce if you would like! Get pleasure from.
See the total put up for suggestions, tips & methods to customise this enchilada skillet!
Servings: 4 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving (based mostly on 4)
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats