On this eggplant rollatini recipe, bubbly marinara surrounds tender eggplant slices rolled round a wealthy ricotta filling. It is SO comforting and scrumptious!
Okay, saucy, tacky consolation meals followers – you’re going to like this eggplant rollatini recipe!
“Rollatini” is an Americanized model of the Italian phrase “involtini,” which describes small bundles of meals made by rolling skinny slices of meat or produce round a filling. On this eggplant rollatini recipe, I wrap delicate planks of roasted eggplant round a wealthy mix of lemon zest, pecorino, and ricotta cheese. I nestle the rolls in a dish of marinara sauce and bake till the filling is scorching and the eggplant is tender.
The mix of flavors and textures is unbelievable. The filling provides a vivid, creamy distinction to the silky eggplant, and the marinara provides scrumptious tang. For a contemporary end and a welcome crunch, garnish all of it with a lot of basil and a sprinkle of pine nuts. Get pleasure from!
Eggplant Rollatini Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this eggplant rollatini recipe:
- Eggplant, after all! Search for two giant globe eggplants at your farmers market or grocery retailer. Once you slice them lengthwise, you need the planks to be giant sufficient to wrap round a filling.
- Marinara sauce – Use store-bought (we like Rao’s!), or make your individual. My do-it-yourself marinara and contemporary tomato sauce would each be glorious right here.
- Ricotta cheese – It creates the filling’s creamy base.
- Pecorino cheese – It provides savory, salty taste to the ricotta combination. Parmesan cheese would work properly too!
- Lemon zest – For brightness.
- Garlic, dried oregano, and pink pepper flakes – They add basic Italian flavors to the cheese filling.
- Additional-virgin olive oil – It helps the eggplant soften and brown because it roasts within the oven.
- Recent basil and pine nuts – For garnish.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
For a vegan various to the ricotta, try the recipe card beneath. I’ve included my go-to recipe for a creamy plant-based “ricotta,” constituted of blended tofu and dietary yeast. I don’t assume I might decide a favourite between the 2 variations. Each are scrumptious!
The way to Make Eggplant Rollatini
Step one to creating this eggplant rollatini recipe is getting ready the eggplant.
Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch planks, and organize them on a layer of paper towel or clear kitchen towels. Sprinkle them with salt and set them apart for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, pat the slices dry and organize them on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Drizzle them generously with olive oil and roast at 425°F for 20 to half-hour, or till the slices are tender and golden brown. Make sure that to flip the slices and rotate the pans midway via.
Whereas the eggplant roasts, combine up the ricotta filling.
Subsequent, fill the roasted eggplant slices. Once they’re cool sufficient to deal with, place about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta combination on the tip of every slice. Roll to seal.
Lastly, bake. Unfold the marinara sauce within the backside of a big baking dish, and add the eggplant bundles, seam aspect down. Cowl the dish and bake till the eggplant is tender, about 20 minutes.
Serve with a bathe of contemporary basil and pine nuts for garnish. I additionally like to supply a salad on the aspect. This eggplant rollatini pairs completely with a do-it-yourself Caesar salad, Italian chopped salad, arugula salad, or easy inexperienced salad. Good bread or dinner rolls are additionally a good way to spherical out the meal.
Eggplant Rollatini Recipe Ideas
- Salt the eggplant earlier than you roast it. It takes an additional 20 minutes, I do know, but it surely improves the eggplant’s taste a ton. It additionally attracts extra moisture out of the eggplant, which makes it extra pliable, tender, and straightforward to roll.
- Don’t skimp on the oil. Uncooked eggplant acts like a sponge – it may possibly absorb oil like nothing else can. Consequently, you must be pretty beneficiant with the oil that you simply drizzle on the eggplant earlier than you roast it. It’s essential for serving to the eggplant soften and brown because it bakes. With too little oil, the skinny eggplant slices will dry out and possibly even burn within the oven.
- Stack the eggplant slices once they come out of the oven. Form of a bizarre tip, I do know, however stacking up the recent eggplant slices after their preliminary roast will assist them steam and soften. This makes them simpler to roll across the creamy filling.
Extra Favourite Eggplant Recipes
In the event you love this eggplant rollatini, attempt certainly one of these contemporary eggplant recipes subsequent:
On this eggplant rollatini recipe, skinny eggplant slices are rolled round a wealthy ricotta filling, then baked in bubbly marinara sauce. It is a comforting, scrumptious vegetarian meal. Discover a vegan various within the observe beneath.
- 2 giant eggplants, sliced vertically into ¼-inch-thick planks
- Sea salt
- Additional-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- Pine nuts, for sprinkling
- Recent basil leaves, for garnish
- 2 cups 16 ounces entire milk ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated pecorino cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon pink pepper flakes, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line two giant baking sheets with parchment paper.
Organize the eggplant planks on a clear kitchen towel and sprinkle with salt. Put aside for 20 minutes to attract moisture out of the eggplant.
Pat the eggplant dry and switch to the ready baking sheets. Drizzle generously with olive oil, toss to coat, and organize in a single layer on the baking sheets. Roast for 20 to half-hour, or till tender and golden brown, flipping the eggplant and rotating the pans midway via.
In the meantime, make the filling*: In a big bowl, stir collectively the ricotta, pecorino, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, pink pepper flakes, salt, and several other grinds of pepper.
Assemble the rollatini. Unfold the marinara sauce in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the filling onto the tip of one of many roasted eggplant slices and roll to seal. Place seam aspect down within the ready baking dish. Repeat with the remaining filling and eggplant slices.
Cowl the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or till the eggplant is tender.
Sprinkle with pine nuts and pink pepper flakes, garnish with contemporary basil, and serve.
- 1 (14-ounce) bundle extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons contemporary lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dietary yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pink pepper flakes