If you happen to’re searching for a comforting, crowd-pleasing recipe that may by no means fail you, it’s this wholesome enchiladas recipe! These Inexperienced Chile Rooster Enchiladas are a lightened-up model of my Grammy’s legendary recipe.
These straightforward enchiladas have been one of many first recipes I realized to make by myself and have been one of many earliest dinners I made for Ben after we have been courting.
They’re additionally my household’s Christmas dinner custom (as a result of, why not?), and have been the FIRST recipe I ever posted on Effectively Plated.
Sure, nostalgia is an enormous a part of why I like these easy inexperienced chile hen enchiladas.
Nevertheless, these tacky, creamy hen enchiladas serve up greater than reminiscences:
- Made with complete wheat tortillas (that are additionally nice with these Beef Fajitas), these hearty enchiladas present a full serving of complete grains plus added fiber, iron, and different key vitamins.
- I tweaked my Grammy’s recipe choosing protein-rich nonfat Greek yogurt to make these inexperienced chile hen enchiladas with out bitter cream.
- PLUS, these wholesome enchiladas will be in your desk in an hour (much less for those who use leftover cooked shredded hen or rotisserie hen from the deli).
These straightforward hen enchiladas are usually not fancy.
Nonetheless, regardless of what number of recipes I share, this pan of creamy, Mexican-inspired goodness won’t ever lose its place in my coronary heart. (This Rooster Tortilla Soup can be fairly particular.)
5 Star Overview
“I made these final night time and so they have been successful! I reside in TX and my husband and youngsters are native Texans and so they liked it.”
— Zoe —
Methods to Make Inexperienced Chile Rooster Enchiladas
These is probably not genuine inexperienced chile hen enchiladas, however they’re easy sufficient for newbie cooks to grasp (as is that this Taco Skillet) and style spectacular.
Even a chef as completed as my grammy makes them frequently.
- Rooster. Lean and filled with protein, you possibly can prepare dinner the hen for these straightforward inexperienced chile hen enchiladas as you put together the recipe, or use leftover cooked shredded hen out of your fridge.
- Onion + Bell Peppers. A traditional combo of yellow onion and pink bell peppers lends the recipe some zip, sweetness, and genuine flavors.
- Inexperienced Chiles. You’ll need not one however TWO cans of inexperienced chiles for this recipe. They offer the dish (and this Chile Verde Pork) a lot taste and really refined warmth.
- Greek Yogurt. My wholesome swap for bitter cream, which is used for probably the most conventional genuine inexperienced chile hen enchiladas.
- Inexperienced Enchilada Sauce. Use your favourite storebought or selfmade recipe.
- Complete Wheat Tortillas. Complete grain goodness.
- Cheese. Melty Monterey jack is my go-to cheese for these straightforward inexperienced chile hen enchiladas (and Rooster Tortilla Casserole). You might additionally go to your favourite shredded Mexican cheese mix.
- Spices. A easy mix of chili powder, cumin, garlic, and black pepper contributes depth and loads of spicy punch.
- Prepare dinner and shred hen, if crucial.
- In a skillet, sauté the peppers and onions till gentle and translucent.
- Stir within the shredded hen, spices, and a few salt. Take away from the warmth and let cool.
- In a big bowl, mix the yogurt and inexperienced chile combination. Add the hen and greens.
- Roll the enchiladas, prime with inexperienced enchilada sauce, then cowl the baking dish. Bake inexperienced chile hen enchiladas at 350 levels F for half-hour. Take away the pan from the oven, uncover, and prime with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven till the cheese is melted. Serve heat with desired toppings. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Leftover inexperienced chile hen enchiladas could also be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Heat leftover enchiladas in a preheated 350-degree F oven till heated by in a coated baking dish. You may additionally microwave them in a coated container till steaming.
- To Freeze. Baked enchiladas could also be frozen and saved within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating as directed above.
What to Serve with Inexperienced Chile Rooster Enchiladas
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Finest Casserole Dish
I actually get pleasure from Staub stoneware as a result of it’s extremely scratch resistant and retains warmth exceptionally properly.
From my weblog’s earliest days to right now, these inexperienced chile hen enchiladas have by no means let me down, and so they’ll decide you proper up too!
Regularly Requested Questions
No. The primary distinction between conventional salsa verde and genuine inexperienced enchilada sauce is salsa verde is mostly uncooked, whereas Enchilada Sauce is often cooked (e.g., roasted or sautéed). Enchilada sauce additionally often provides liquid to the recipe, similar to broth, inventory, or water.
Completely! You may freeze these absolutely baked, or unbaked. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, carry the pan to room temperature, then bake as directed. Make sure to use a freezer-safe baking dish.
Hatch chiles are a particular number of inexperienced chiles produced in Hatch, New Mexico. They’re slightly spicier than the California and Anaheim inexperienced chiles, that are often the variability canned and bought in most grocery shops.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless hen breasts cooked and shredded (see cooking instructions beneath if wanted—or use storebought rotisserie hen)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small pink bell peppers (or yellow, or orange bell peppers), cored and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups reduced-fat shredded Monterey jack cheese or Mexican mix cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 cans diced inexperienced chiles (4-ounce cans) , drained
- 8 complete wheat flour tortillas (7-inch)
- 1 can inexperienced enchilada sauce (15 ounces)
- For serving: diced contemporary tomato contemporary cilantro, diced avocado, diced pink onion, as desired
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Flippantly coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with baking spray and put aside.
Prepare dinner and shred hen, if crucial.*
Warmth the oil in a big skillet or sauté pan on medium warmth. As soon as the oil is heat, add the peppers and onion. Prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, till the greens soften and the onions grow to be translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
To the skillet, add the shredded hen, 1/2 teaspoon salt, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and black pepper. Stir to coat evenly, then take away the skillet from the warmth and let cool.
In a big bowl, mix 1 cup of the cheese, Greek yogurt, inexperienced chilies, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. As soon as the hen and veggie combination has cooled to just about room temperature, add it to the bowl with the yogurt combination and stir to coat evenly.
To assemble the enchiladas, fill every tortilla with a barely heaping 1/2 cup of the chicken-yogurt combination. Roll closed and place in the ready dish, seam aspect down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Pour the inexperienced enchilada sauce evenly excessive, cowl the pan, then bake for half-hour.
Take away the pan from the oven, uncover, and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for five extra minutes, till the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with desired toppings and luxuriate in!
- *HOW TO COOK CHICKEN: Take a look at my final information on Methods to Prepare dinner Shredded Rooster. To prepare dinner the hen within the Prompt Pot, see this put up for Prompt Pot Rooster. For gradual cooker directions, see Crock Pot Shredded Rooster.
- TO STORE: Leftover inexperienced chile hen enchiladas could also be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Heat leftover enchiladas in a preheated 350-degree F oven till heated by in a coated baking dish. You may additionally microwave them in a coated container till steaming.
- TO FREEZE: Inexperienced chile hen enchiladas are an important freezer meal. Baked enchiladas could also be frozen and saved within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating as directed above.
Serving: 1enchilada (with out extra toppings)Energy: 384kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 29gFats: 15gSaturated Fats: 7gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 0.01gLdl cholesterol: 63mgPotassium: 404mgFiber: 5gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 1394IUVitamin C: 36mgCalcium: 359mgIron: 3mg
Be a part of right now and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
Spice your weeknight menu up with one among these different tasty Tex-Mex and Mexican recipes:
King Ranch Rooster
One Pot Meals