Pasta e fagioli is a hearty Italian soup made with pasta, beans, and veggies. Served with crusty bread, it is vegetarian consolation meals at its finest.
Pasta e fagioli, typically shortened to pasta fagioli (or pasta fazool in the event you’re a Sopranos fan), is a traditional Italian soup. Its title actually interprets to “pasta and beans,” and it consists of tiny pasta, creamy beans, and tender greens in a aromatic tomato broth.
Right here within the US, many individuals know pasta e fagioli from the menu at Olive Backyard, however I’m right here to let you know that you just HAVE to strive making this dish at dwelling. It comes collectively in a single pot. The components are largely pantry staples. AND the mix of pasta, beans, and veggies makes it a satisfying standalone meal.
When you’re in search of easy, reasonably priced, and scrumptious dinners so as to add to your rotation, pasta e fagioli can’t be beat. I’m sharing my go-to recipe beneath. I hope you find it irresistible as a lot as I do!
Pasta e Fagioli Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you might want to make this pasta e fagioli recipe:
- Pasta, in fact! Ditalini is my prime decide. Can’t discover it? Little elbow macaroni noodles or one other small pasta form would work effectively too.
- Beans – In Italy, pasta e fagioli is historically made with recent cranberry beans. Nonetheless, recent shell beans are laborious to search out the place I dwell, so I name for canned cannellini beans as a substitute. They’re nonetheless scrumptious!
- Further-virgin olive oil – For richness.
- Onion, garlic, carrots, and fennel – These fragrant veggies create the soup’s flavorful base. I LOVE the fennel’s anise-like taste on this soup, however in the event you can’t discover it, or in the event you’re not a fennel fan, celery is a good various!
- Tomato paste – It thickens the broth and deepens the tomato taste.
- Contemporary rosemary – For cozy, piney taste.
- Diced tomatoes – They add candy, tangy taste to the broth.
- Vegetable broth – Use store-bought, or make your personal.
- A Parmesan rind – Yep, you’ll be able to simply chop the rind off a block of Parmesan cheese! When you’re vegetarian, make sure to search for a model made with vegetarian enzymes (BelGioioso makes an important one). When you’re vegan, be at liberty to skip it.
- Kale or Swiss chard – It’s not totally conventional in pasta e fagioli, however I like ending a pot of soup with a lot of leafy greens!
- Pink pepper flakes – They add a kick of warmth.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
The right way to Make Pasta e Fagioli
This hearty soup recipe is so easy to make!
First, sauté the veggies. Warmth the olive oil in a big soup pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth, and add the onion, carrots, and fennel. You need the veggies to get very tender. Cook dinner, stirring sometimes, for 10 to fifteen minutes.
Stir within the garlic, tomato paste, and rosemary, and prepare dinner for an additional minute.
Subsequent, simmer the soup. Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, and Parmesan rind to the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes to permit the flavors to meld.
Then, stir within the pasta. Cook dinner for an additional 10 minutes or so, till the pasta is al dente.
Lastly, add the kale and pink pepper flakes. Cook dinner till the kale wilts. Season to style and serve!
Pasta e Fagioli Serving Solutions
While you’re able to eat, ladle the pasta e fagioli soup into bowls, and prime it with extra pink pepper flakes, a sprinkle of parsley, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, in the event you like. You can also’t go mistaken with a aspect of crusty bread for sopping up the broth!
Leftovers hold effectively within the fridge for a day or two, however the pasta soaks up an increasing number of of the broth the longer it sits within the soup. If you wish to make this recipe a number of days forward, or in the event you plan on freezing it, you might wish to omit the pasta whenever you first make the soup. As a substitute, boil it individually and add it to the soup simply earlier than serving in order that the noodles nonetheless have an al dente chew whenever you eat.
Extra Favourite Soup Recipes
When you love this recipe, strive one in all these traditional soups subsequent:
Pasta e Fagioli
Serves 4 to six
Pasta e fagioli, typically shortened to pasta fagioli, is a traditional Italian soup made with pasta and beans. My recipe is a comforting, scrumptious vegetarian dinner! Serve it with crusty bread for sopping up the flavorful broth.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 small fennel bulb or 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra to style
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped recent rosemary
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Parmesan rind, non-compulsory
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, or different small pasta
- 2 massive kale or Swiss chard leaves, stemmed and torn (about 6 cups)
- Pinches of pink pepper flakes
Warmth the olive oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the onion, fennel, carrots, salt, and several other grinds of pepper and prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, for 10 to fifteen minutes, or till very tender.
Add the garlic, tomato paste, and rosemary and prepare dinner, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the beans, broth, and Parmesan rind, if utilizing. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the pasta and simmer for 10 extra minutes, or till al dente. Stir within the kale and pink pepper flakes and prepare dinner till the kale is wilted. Season to style and serve.